This holiday season, we’re saying ‘no thanks’ to fast-fashion chain stores and ‘heck yes!’ to supporting independently owned clothing boutiques.
For womenswear and accessories, our favorites include Hazel & Rose, IDUN, Proper, Show & Tell MPLS, Cliche, Mille, Fourpost in Bloomington, Roe Wolfe in Edina, and Golden Rule Gallery and GRAY Home + Lifestyle in Excelsior.
For men’s clothing and streetwear, we like Pharmacie, MartinPatrick3, Atmosfere, Fisher + Baker, and Phenom in Minneapolis; BlackBlue, Fella’s Haberdashery and Salon, and Heimie’s Haberdashery in St. Paul; and Ace General Store in Excelsior.
For outdoorsy gear, we would turn to newly reimagined Askov Finlayson, Nokomis Shoes, Red Wing Shoes in Red Wing, Duluth Pack or Frost River Trading Co. in Duluth, Lake Superior Trading Post in Grand Marais, and Steger Mukluks and Piragis Northwoods Company in Ely.
Brick-and-mortar stores aside, we’re huge fans of Minnesota makers and designers. What follows is the fifth installment in our seven-part Ultimate Minnevangelist Gift Guide, highlighting #MNmade clothing and accessories.
1. Hand-dyed Cotton Giant ($70) from Scarf Shop in Minneapolis. It’s available in 32 colors!
2. North Bound Weekender ($250) from Addington Company in St. Paul.
3. Asymmetrical wool poncho ($148) from ACG in Minneapolis.
4. Low 1 sneakers ($188) in monochromatic navy, designed by Oliver Cabell in Minneapolis and handmade in Italy.
6. Also from the Ashley Mary x Nooworks collab: this dynamite pantsuit ($148).
8. One-of-a-kind money clip wallets ($110 each) made from vintage ball glove leather by Pillbox Bat Company in Minneapolis.
10. The Madrid Flowers tie (now on sale for $19.99) from LEVII & Co. in Minneapolis.
11. This compact backpack ($375) was handwoven from sustainably harvested birch bark by Birch Bark Beth of MSP.
12. Blue Eyes peacock bowtie ($195) from Bird Dog Studios in Minnetonka. It’s handcrafted with sustainably sourced feathers!
13. Bird Dog‘s Boone bowtie ($185) was inspired by Minnesota summers. It’s made with pheasant feathers and partridge plumage.
14. Reversible wrap jumper ($240) from Hackwith Design House in St. Paul. Available in extended sizing; look at how cute it is from behind!
15. Couture Corona turban ($395) by the supremely talented Celina Kane in Minneapolis.
16. Denim tunic ($120) handcrafted by Gilded Roots in Minneapolis.
17. Also digging this floral tee ($45) from Gilded Roots.
18. Women’s Hemlock boots ($290) handmade by Candace LaCosse of Hemlocks Leatherworks in Duluth.
19. The Sandy sunglasses ($59.99) with bamboo frames and polarized lenses from Lifted Optics were named for Big Sandy Lake in Aitkin County.
20. Check out this sharp new winter parka ($495) from Askov Finlayson, which recently relaunched with a focus on producing its own clothing line.
22. Quilted tote with leather handles ($225) from modern quilt designer Arianna Caggiano of Quilt Kween in Minneapolis.
24. Pretty, flowy, soft teal robe ($108), cut and sewn in Minnesota by De Nova. Available in sizes XS-3X.
26. Sport hijab from Cedar-Riverside activewear brand ASIYA Sport. It’s available in three styles for different levels of modesty, fashion preferences, and uses.
27. Passage down jacket ($328) from Fisher + Baker in Minneapolis.
28. Hmong fabric bow tie ($42), hand-embroidered exclusively for Ice Cream Bow Ties by artisans in Laos and finished by hand in St. Paul. Fun fact: Designer Aniki Allen is 12 years old now, but founded this brand when he was 9. 😮
31. A good stocking stuffer idea: colorful laces from Benjo’s in Minneapolis. They make ’em for work boots, dress shoes, golf shoes, you name it…
32. Or a gift card for a cute Wild Isles bathing suit, made for cup sizes D+.
33. Sportsman’s Cruiser ($335) heavyweight wool coat with cowhide shooting shoulder and elbows from veteran-owned outdoors outfitter Tradition Creek.
34. Scrunchies ($8) made from vintage material by Al’s Tailoring in Minneapolis.
35. Gypsy yoga pant ($88) made with eco-friendly fabric by twin sisters Kaja and Zoë of FOAT.
36. Here’s a groovy gift idea: Zhuzh up a pair of wingtips, boots, or chukkas with the signature colored soles of Greenwich Vintage Co. The re-crafting is done by master cobbler Tamas Pomazi in Waconia.
38. The Essential Bicycle Handlebar Bag ($139) from Äventyr in Minneapolis does double duty as a shoulder/cross-body bag. It even includes front tool pockets for essential repair items like a tire lever and multi tool.
39. Auryn wool cape ($268) made in Minneapolis by Dallas Daws.
40. Textured brass Flox barrette ($58), hand-fabricated by Minneapolis artist Ann Erickson.
42. Another classic pick from Talisman & Co., just $30.
43. Latest obsession: the silhouettes from Malaysia-born, Chanhassen-based designer Ren Bin Lee Dixon of The Cat Lab. This oversized silk-blend dot balloon dress is $399.
44. Say hello to the perfect wide paper-bag pant ($349), also from The Cat Lab.
45. Tough Guy T-shirt ($20) from the queer artist-owned-and-operated Ritual Print Co in Minneapolis.
46. Old-school cool: Men’s Classic Moc 6-inch Boots ($279.99) in Oro Legacy Leather from Red Wing Heritage.
47. New-school cool: Hmong Story Print High-Top Canvas Sneakers ($89.99) from XIXO Menswear.
48. This Hudson Bay-esque Cabin Stripe winter knit hat ($30) from Great Lakes Collection is designed and manufactured in Minnesota.
49. Case Mate slim phone case ($35) in teal blush, printed from an original alcohol ink painting by Heidi Derner of Wonderland Creative Studio.
50. The Tencel Travel Pant ($175) from Anywhere Apparel in MSP is versatile enough to wear on a long flight, sporty enough to hike through ancient ruins, and chic enough to wear out to dinner. Bonus: The pants have hidden zippered pockets for your passport and phone.
51. Supple vegetable-tanned leather bucket bag ($325) from Talin Spring of Spring Finn & Co. in Minneapolis.
53. Merino Bubble Fluff Cowl ($98) in Greige by the knitting crew at Nickichicki.
54. North Woods Scarf ($148) by textile artist Annabella Sardelis of Indigo & Snow.
55. Karen Morris Millinery makes the most extraordinary hats. Whitney ($245) is a forest green velour peach bloom felt beret with Japanese gold-plated trim; Blanche ($285) is a cobalt blue headpiece with geometrical feather quills trim; and Delphine ($515) is a buntal straw hat with hand-cut feathers.
56. Cedar wood pocket square ($55) from Woodchuck USA in Minneapolis. Also available in walnut and mahogany.
57. Canvas backpack ($145) by graphic designer Sarah McNerney of Winter Project Artist.
58. Know someone who rocks fashionable headbands and wraps? Introduce them to Molará, whose cofounders, Omolara and Maama, are based in Minnesota and Nigeria.
59. Arrowhead Trail ($180) waxed canvas roll-top pack from Frost River Trading Co. in Duluth.
60. Toothpick key fob ($12) in London Tan from Leather Works Minnesota in St. Paul.